Monster of the Week
Fight fire with fire magic.
(pick one from each List)
|Woman, man, androgynous.|
|Rumpled clothes, stylish clothes, goth clothes, old fashioned clothes.|
|Shadowed eyes, fierce eyes, weary eyes, sparkling eyes.|
(pick one line)
You have a few attack spells you can use as weapons. When you use these spells to kick some ass, roll with Weird instead of with Tough. Sometimes the situation may require you to act under pressure to cast your spell without problems.
Pick three options from the lists below. Your combat spells can combine any of your base spells with any of your effects.
|Base (Pick at least one)||Effects|
|Blast: 2-harm magical close obvious loud||Fire: Add “+2 harm fire” to a base. If you get a 10+ on a combat magic roll, the fire won’t spread.|
|Ball: 1-harm magical area close obvious loud||Force or Wind: Add “+1 harm forceful” to a base, or “+1 armour” to a wall.|
|Missile: 1-harm magical far obvious loud||Lightning or Entropy: Add “+1 harm messy”to a base.|
|Wall: 1-harm magical barrier close 1-armour obvious loud||Frost or Ice: Adds “-1 harm + 2 armour” to a wall, or “+ 1 harm restraining” to other bases.|
|Earth: Add “forceful restraining” to a base.|
|Necromantic: Add “life-drain” to a base.|
You get all the basic moves and four Spellslinger moves. You have this one:
|Tools and Techniques||In order to use your combat magic effectively, you rely on a collection of tools and techniques. If you don’t use them, there are drawbacks. Cross off one; you’ll need the rest.
- Consumables: You need to have certain supplies— powders, oils, etc— on hand to cast your spell. They’re used up when you cast the spell. If you don’t have them on hand, your body will be the substitute: take 1-harm ignore-armour when you cast.
- Foci: You need wands, staves, and other somewhat obvious props to focus your efforts at their most powerful. If you don’t have what you need on hand, your combat magic does 1 less harm.
- Gestures: You need to be able to wave your hands around obviously in order to use your combat magic. If you’re restrained in any way, you can still cast the spell but it’s more likely to go wrong; take – 1 ongoing to your combat magic.
- Incantations: You must speak in an arcane language to control your magic without it filtering directly through your mind. If you use combat magic spell, successfully or failed, while unable or unwilling to speak, you must immediately act under pressure to avoid scrambling your thoughts—producing hallucinations, sensory deprivation, and general befuddlement.
Plus pick three of these:
|O||Advanced Arcane Training||If you have two of your three Tools and Techniques at the ready, you may ignore the third one.|
|O||Arcane Reputation||Pick three big organizations or groups in the supernatural community, which can include some of the more sociable types of monsters. They’ve heard of you and respect your power. With affected humans, take +1 forward when you manipulate them. You may manipulate affected monsters as if they were human, with no bonus.|
|O||Could’ve Been Worse||When you miss a use magic roll you can choose one of the following options instead of losing control of the magic:
- Fizzle: The preparations and materials for the spell are ruined. You’ll have to start over from scratch with the prep time doubled.
- This Is Gonna Suck: The effect happens, but you trigger all of the listed glitches but one. You pick the one you avoid.
|O||Enchanted Clothing||Pick an article of every-day clothing–it’s enchanted without any change in appearance. Take -1 harm from any source that tries to get at you through the garment.|
|O||Forensic Divination||When you successfully investigate a mystery, you may ask “What magic was done here?” as a free extra question.|
|O||Go Big or Go Home||When you must use magic as a requirement for Big Magic, take +1 ongoing to those use magic rolls.|
|O||Not My Fault||+1 to act under pressure when you are dealing with the consequences of your own spellcasting.|
|O||Practitioner||Choose two effects available to you under use magic. Take +1 to use magic whenever you choose one of those effects.|
|O||Shield Spell||When you protect someone, gain 2-armour against any harm that is transferred to you. This doesn’t stack with your other armour, if any.|
|O||Third Eye||When you read a bad situation, you can open up your third eye for a moment to take in extra information. Take +1 hold on any result of 7 or more, plus you can see invisible things. On a miss, you may still get 1 hold, but you’re exposed to supernatural danger. Unfiltered hidden reality is rough on the mind!|
|Backup weapon (pick one)|
|- Old revolver (2-harm close reload loud)|
|- Ritual knife (1-harm hand)|
|- Heirloom sword (2-harm hand messy)|
|- Get +1 Weird, max +3||- Get +1 to any rating, max +3.|
|- Get +1 Cool, max +2||- Change this hunter to a new type.|
|- Get +1 Sharp, max +2||- Create a second hunter to play as well as this one.|
|- Get +1 Tough, max +2||- Mark two of the basic moves as advanced.|
|- Take another Spell-Slinger move.||- Mark another two of the basic moves as advanced.|
|- Take another Spell-Slinger move.||- Retire this hunter to safety.|
|- Take a move from another playbook.||- Erase one used Luck mark from your playbook.|
|- Take a move from another playbook.||- Take another Combat Magic pick.|
|- Take another Combat Magic pick.||- You may cross off another option from your Tools and Techniques.|
(Pick one of these for each other hunter)
|- They act as your conscience when the power goes to your head. Ask them about the last time this happened.|
|- Blood relation, though you were out of contact for years. Ask them how they reconnected with you.|
|- Mentor from another life. Ask them what they taught you.|
|- Your magic-fueled rescue of them introduced them to the supernatural. Tell them what creature was after them.|
|- An old rivalry has turned into a tight friendship. Tell them what you once fought over.|
|- You thought they were dead, and now they’re back. What “killed” them?|
|- They’re an on-again/off-again love interest. Ask them what keeps you apart. – Tell them what keeps you together.|
|- A comrade-in-arms. You’ve faced the biggest threats together.|